Sunday, October 11, 2015

Survey accounts


ESL 5301 Survey stories

Survey related

                  Following the unanimous decision in the ESL 5301-001 class to collect surveys from people regarding gay marriages and their related issues on Texas Tech University campus, I set out on a journey to explore and map people’s responses to the series of questions posed by us, a group of ten students taking the ESL 5301-001 course.  The entire process of survey collection was quite interesting for the likes of me, who spends most of my time within the four walls.  With a hope of finishing the surveys, I went to student union building (SUB) on October 1st 2015, around 12:00 noon with a strong confidence that lot of students would be present to grab their lunch.  As expected, the entire SUB was buzzing with lots of activities and students.  To start with, I selected people present in the SUB randomly and requested that they fill out the questionnaire provided they feel comfortable doing this survey.  Though a few people requested clarifications in certain questions, most of the people filled the survey without any problem.  However, few people in my department felt that the questions are too personal and suggested rephrasing the queries in a nicer way.  It should also be pointed out that people who took the survey were extremely nice and polite in answering to me.  Also, with a huge number of people in the SUB, it was extremely easy to find the required number of females and males.  In general, the entire exercise of doing the survey helped me in tuning my skills to approach strangers and also made me realize the importance of speaking coherently to strangers.  (Sriramvignesh Mani)

Story of the collection of the survey

The assignment of collecting the survey for the English writing class was altogether a new experience for me. I never approached any person in my life for filling a survey. The task assigned to me was to get thirteen survey results from six American males, six American females and one from myself. In the beginning, I was bit confused about approaching random people for filling out the survey. At first, I approached my colleagues (six males and two female Americans) in the department of Geosciences. They were very happy to discuss gay marriage and gladly filled out the survey. After finishing the survey, we all started discussing gay marriage and its relevance in Texas. The discussion was really interesting. At the end it was very clear to me that most of the young liberals support gay marriage.  In order to make the survey more reasonable, I went to the student union and approached random unknown female students. I briefly explained to them about the writing class that I am enrolled in and the survey that they can help me with. All of the girls very happily listened to me and agreed to undertake the survey. At the end I was very happy, and  finished completing all the tasks that were assigned to me by the class. (Sankar)

Story of the survey

                  I did my survey on September 30, 2015 in a church group, as I take part in bible study every Wednesday. I was lucky to find out that there were six American males and six females on that day, which just fitted the sample amount I needed to finish. All of them were happy to help me answer the questions. I realized that people felt uncomfortable if I was present next to them; they would discuss it with their friends but would hide their answers from me. At the very first beginning I thought they would answer the questions very quickly, because I just took no more than two minutes to finish it. However, they took more than 15 minutes to think and discuss it with each other, which was out of my expectation. It seemed that Americans were actually very cautious about the gay marriage issue. Since most of them were Christian, I could tell they were struggling to answer the survey, and most of them disagreed with gay marriage, especially those who were older. Overall, this was a great chance for me to study Christians’ acceptance to gay marriage, and I learned that Christians were more conservative than other people. (Jieying Wu)

Survey Process

                  It was relatively easy to obtain the surveys. I decided to ask people located in the Student Union Building. I chose the after lunch time because at that moment it is easier to find the students relaxed. Before starting, I planned to interview student groups instead of asking discreetly. I decided to do this because I thought that it could be faster to complete the surveys: it is more practical to explain the survey to a group than individually. I mostly interviewed students, although I also asked to three employees of the Texas Tech Housing Department. The strategy of group interviews was initially perfect in terms of the time devoted because I could receive several surveys in one shot. I only needed to ask four groups to complete the twelve surveys. However, one of the sheets was not completely filled out. I made this mistake because I did not take enough time to review how each sheet was filled out. This was a defect of my plan that I did not think of. I needed to come back to the Student Union Building and to search for one more person to ask. Finally, I got two surveys more, reaching thirteen surveys, and found more one not completely filled out. (Elliot)

Experiences  while  collecting  Surveys

Since I’m a graduate student in the Chemical Engineering department, I mostly asked the people from my department to fill out the surveys. I asked some of my American colleagues, faculty and  staff members and also the undergraduate students in my teaching assistant (TA) laboratory to fill  the survey. Almost all of the graduate and undergraduate students as well as faculty members  filled out  the  survey  with  a  keen  interest  in  this  topic.  Most of the  staff  members  showed  no  inhibitions  while  answering  the  questions;  they  were  in  fact  very  interested  in  discussing  more about this issue with me and asked my opinions  regarding it. However, one of the staff  members  was  not  very  comfortable  in  filling  it out and  he  simply  said  that  he  doesn’t  support  this  agenda  of  gay  marriage  at  all.  Initially, he assumed that this survey was  a  part  of  some  national  survey  to  be  filled  by  all  the  Americans  and  so he  was  not  ready  to  answer  the  questions.  But once his colleagues told him  that  it’s  just  for  a  graduate  class,  he  filled  the  survey  shedding  some  inhibitions. The undergraduate students were the ones who  showed  a  lot  of  curiosity  in  this  topic  and  spent  a  considerable  amount  of  time  while  filling out  this  survey.  They, in fact, discussed this  issue  with  their  friends  even  after  their  experiments  in  the  laboratory  were  finished.  I felt that women were  more  comfortable  in  answering  the  questions  than  men  and  were  even  interested  in  knowing  the  final  results  of  our  survey.  I think it  would  be  really  interesting  to  see  the  outcome  of  this  survey  as  it  may  or  may  not  give  us  very  surprising  opinion  about  the  people  in  the  Texas  Tech  campus.  (Harnoor)

How I collected the surveys

I had all my surveys done in Holden Hall building in two days. I started my data collection easily with two male undergraduates; these young men were hanging out in the basement and were pleased to help me out with the survey. The next three ones, who, I guessed, were also undergraduates, did not give me such a warm welcome; they just tried to jot down their answers as quickly as they could without smiling or talking. Then, I came into the TA room of the History Department, asking someone there to take the surveys. A female graduate told me that she had never been concerned about gay marriage before. After finishing with the students, I tried to approach some older people in their offices; and I had the most interesting story with an office woman. She wrote and erased her words several times, struggling with the twelfth question and the last one. She even asked me who the instructor of my writing class was; she wondered if it was one of the gender studies professors in the History Department (Are you a gender studies professor, Mr. Leverett? J). I did not totally understand why she had such an inquiry, but I did know that she was not comfortable in answering our survey.  (Nam Giang Trinh)

Survey Story

Last Sunday, it was the Mid-Autumn Festival in China. It means there would have a big reunion party with the whole family in China. I was homesick every day, especially on this day. The Lubbock Chinese Association held a celebration dinner for the Mid-Autumn Festival at the China Star Restaurant. The dinner started at 6 pm and many Americans were invited. I brought my survey of gay marriage to the dinner, I thought it would be a good chance and relaxing time to do the survey. I sat in the table with two American girls, and began my survey. They were very glad to do the survey, and they were very interested in talking about gay marriage and they found four of their friends to do the survey, so It was very easy to finish half of the surveys. After that, I switched to other tables and continued doing my survey. All the people were very nice and glad to do the survey. I thought it was a correct choice to take the survey to the party. (Songhe)

Survey Story

After I had a lunch on Thursday September 24, I was in the Student Union Building. I went to the ballroom, because I thought many people would rest there. I chose the people who weren’t doing their work, so I chose people who were eating or people who were playing on their phones because I think they were free and wouldn’t reject my asking them favors. My strategy was that I went to a person and asked whether he/she was an American, and if the answer was yes, I asked him/her to do a survey.  Everything went very well as I thought; it was very easy to do my surveys. I finished twelve sheets of survey within an hour. Some women also asked me general personal questions such as my major, or my country, but no one asked for my name, nor did I ask theirs. (Ariyawat)




No comments:

Post a Comment